Justin called me Saturday at work and told me he’d rolled his driver’s side window down during a break but it would not go back up. We’re just coming out of a bad ice storm here, in January, so it’s a little important that we get this window back up. So I go swap trucks with him, leaving him mine and taking his home to see if I can find out what’s wrong with the window. This is how it went. This will be a long post with pictures, so I’ll cut it here on the home page and you can follow the story if you’re interested.
Justin has a 2005 F150 Crew Cab, so the driver’s side control handles all four windows plus the door locks and power mirror adjustment, and the window lock out. The power controls would operate everything except bringing the driver’s side window up. It would lower it, but not raise it. I took some pictures of what I did which I include at the end of this post.
Getting to the control is really simple, as it’s in a removable panel on the armrest. You can pry the cover of the armrest off with a screwdriver as it’s held by just two v-clips. Once removed you can see the four modular wiring connectors on the back side. One is for the power mirrors, one for the door locks, and the last two both plug into the window controls. I removed the two modular connectors on the backside of the power window control, then removed the power window control from the armrest cover by prying loose the two tabs on each side which hold the window control in the armrest cover.
Once the control unit is removed from the vehicle, I removed the four window rocker switches from the unit. They can be pulled of with your fingers as they snap onto a square post. The window lockout rocker need not be removed as it is attached only to the cover of the unit. Once the rockers were removed, and the soft plastic liners were removed which weather seal the unit under the rockers, I pried the four tabs open which hold the unit cover on. This can be a little tedious as they must all be loosened simultaneously for the top of the unit cover to come off, but in the end it was not too hard.
Now the switch tabs and circuit board were exposed. I checked the mechanism on the driver side control and found that the contacts which must meet to raise the driver’s side window were not making solid contact. I checked this by taking a piece of paper towel and putting it between the contacts, moving the switch to close the contact and trying to pull the paper towel out. It came out with no effort on this control, while the other three controls would hold the paper. So, my problem was a bad connection between the contacts of that one rocker switch.
I cleaned them all up with alcohol using a q-tip, but also took needle nosed plyers and slightly bent the one tab on the “up” side of the problematic control so it would make better contact. I tested this again with a paper towel, and then the real test – take it out to the truck and connect the modular wiring connectors to this control to see if it would work. BINGO.
So I took it back inside, cleaned up a little more and reassembled everything in reverse order of it’s disassembly. I opted to add a little tape to the cover of the window control unit because taking those tabs off loosened things up just a bit, but everything else just snapped back into place. Worked great after putting it back in.